Development of a Versatile Test-Bed "Twin-Burger" toward Realization of Intelligent Behaviors of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles
A versatile test bed named "The Twin-Burger" was developed for software verification and improvement in realistic environments. The Twin-Burger is a fully autonomous underwater vehicle which carries multiple sensors and a powerful multi-processor system to deal with complex tasks including cooperative works with other vehicles or divers. As a basic function of the Twin-Burger, the sliding control method is applied considering simplified equations of motion and the controllers are designed on the basis of the estimated dynamics derived from limit cycle motion tests.
The implemented controllers show good performances in path following experiments carried out in a testing pool at IIS. It can be concluded that the Twin-Burger acquires the basic swimming ability to cruise along the paths specified by the commanded tasks.
The authors would like to thank Central Workshop of the Institute of Industrial Science for their kind cooperation during the construction of the Twin-Burger vehicle.
- FUJII, Teruo URA, Tamaki:"Development of Motion Control System for AUV Using Neural Nets", Proc. of Symp. on Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Technology, Washington D.C., (1990.6), pp.81-86
- FUJII, Teruo URA, Tamaki:"Neural Network-based Adaptive Control System for AUVs", Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, Vol.4, No.4, (1991.12), pp.310-318
- FUJII, Teruo URA, Tamaki:"SONCS:Self-Organizing Neural-Net-Controller System for Autonomous UnderwaterRobots", Proc.IJCNN'91, Singapore, (1991.11), pp.1973-1982
- FUJII, Teruo URA, Tamaki KURODA, YojiNOSE, Yoshiaki, CHIBA, Hiroyuki:"Multi-Sensor Based AUV with Distributed Vehicle Management Architecture", Proc. of IEEE Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Technology, Washington DC, (1992.6), pp.73-78.
- D.R. Yoerger, J.B. Newman and J.-J. Slotine,"Supervisory control system for the JASON ROV", IEEE J.Oceanic Engg., Vol.OE-11, No.3, 1986, pp.392-399.
- J. Loch, E. Waller, J.G. Bellingham, R. Beaton and M. Triantafyllou, "Software development for the autonomous submersible program at MIT Sea Grant and Draper Laboratory", Proc. 6th UUST, 1989, pp.25-32.
- A.J. Healey and D.B. Marco,"Experimental verification of mission planning by autonomous mission execution and data visualization using the NPS AUV II", Proc. AUV'92, Washington DC, 1992, pp.65-72.
- D.R. Yoerger and J.-J.E. Slotine,"Robust trajectory control of underwater vehicles", IEEE J.Oceanic Engg., Vol.OE-10, No.4, 1985, pp.462-470.
- "The Transputer Databook", second edition, INMOS Limited, 1989.
- FUJII, Teruo URA, Tamaki KURODA, Yoji:"Mission Execution Experiments with a Newly Developed AUV "The Twin-Burger"", Proc. 8th. Intn. Symp. on Unmanned Untethered Submersible Techonology, Durham, (1993.9), pp.92-105
Last modified: Thur July 6 1995